“Cypriot Community Media and Conflict” project.
The Media and Communication Department (SCOM) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) is calling for applications for minimally one full-time doctoral researcher in “Cypriot Community Media and Conflict”. Prospective PhD candidates are hereby invited to apply. The deadline for submitting applications is 25 April 2014.
The 4-year project investigates the role of the Cypriot community media in relation to conflict in Cyprus, focussing on the 40 year division of the island. One part of the project will focus on the production and reception analysis of a selection of programmes, while another part will focus on how conflict is handled within the media organisations.
A successful applicant must:
- have an demonstrable interest in studying the relationship between media, democracy and conflict,
- hold a Master’s degree in Media and Communication studies, Journalism Studies, or a comparable degree,
- have obtained excellent study results,
- be fluent in English,
- be fluent in Greek or Turkish,
- be knowledgeable about the Cyprus political and cultural context,
- be willing to stay in Cyprus for (a) longer period(s),
- qualify for employment at a Belgium university as a PhD grant student (“doctoraatsbursaal”) (with a preference for being a holder of an EU passport, or for being able to obtain a EU passport within a reasonably short term),
- be self-motivated, flexible, and capable of working in a multi-national team
Contract: full-time research grant for one year at the VUB, renewable on an annual basis for a maximum of four years. Extension of the contract is subject to the agreement of the supervisor(s).Remuneration is at the level of a PhD grant holder (“doctoraatsbursaal”) at a Flemish university, i.e. between (approximately) € 1.800 and € 2.000 net per month.
Secondary employment is not allowed.
The Media and Communication Department of the VUB is committed to creating and supporting a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply?
Please send your 1/detailed application letter, combined with 2/a full CV and 3/at least one recommendation letter, to Prof. Dr. Nico Carpentier at nico.carpentier[at]vub.ac.be.